Published: 4/3/2018 9:56:00 AM
If you own, run, manage or administrate a Business Page on Facebook you might have noticed that some pages have a little gray (or sometimes blue) checkmark next to their names. If you don't already have one yourself you might be wondering.. what is that?
check Facebook's Gray Verification Badge
Any Facebook page that publicly displays either a contact number or street address can apply for the Gray Verification Badge. Verifying your page adds legitimacy to your page and shows your followers that your page is genuine - and not just a copy or fan page. It's a symbol of trust.
check Facebook's Blue Verification Badge
The Blue Verification Badge lets people know that a Page or user profile of public interest is authentic. This badge is only available to brands, media organizations and public figures. In order to apply for this badge; account completeness, policy compliance and public interest is of high importance.
Requesting a blue verification badge isn't available right now.
Benefits of verifying your page include;
- Instant credibility
- Users can trust that your page is legitimate
- Your page is likely to rank higher in Facebook's search results *though, note that verifying your page is not a guarantee that you will be ranked above unverified pages
How to verify your page;
Currently (as in writing this) you can only request the gray verification badge. Applying for the blue badge has been unavailable for some time now (see here).
To apply for the gray verification badge you must be an administrator for your page. Make sure you have;
- A profile picture and cover photo.
- A publicly listed phone number, street address or an official document containing your business name.
You can either verify your page via an automated phone call, which is the fastest route or by providing a copy of a legitimate document / utility bill that includes the publicly listed address of your page. If you don't have a phone number or address to your page/company you can also provide official documentation for your company such as; business license, business tax file, certificate of formation or articles of incorporation. Verifying by documentation can take a few weeks up to a few months.
- Visit the Facebook page you are attempting to verify. (Make sure you are an administrator to the page)
- At the top right corner of your page, select Settings.
- Under the Gear General Tab, you will see a column named Page Verification. It will say "Page is not verified" - select the Edit button to the right.
- Select the new link titled Verify this Page.
- By default you will be provided with instructions to verify your page via a phone number. If you wish to verify by phone, follow the steps and enter the 4-digit verification number they provide you with. You will become verified upon completion, congrats!
- If you wish to verify your page through documentation instead, select Verify this Page with documents instead. Follow the steps and attach appropriate documents. Verifying your page through documents can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. If document is not acceptable or application is denied, you can always try again. Documentation should include your business or organizations name and address.
Need help verifying your Facebook Page?
We offer assistance in verifying Facebook pages. If you have any questions or would like some help, please feel free to contact our support team:
9am-5pm ET, monday-friday